Friday, January 2, 2009

New year, new thoughts, new ART?

Well, I have new alcohol ink stuff to post, as well as the Christmas card I created for my cyberscribes Christmas card exchange, which was a delight - especially in the cards that I received. But I'm nursing a cold, and I haven't scanned the items, so you (my blog-followers...) will just have to wait with bated (or is that baited?) breath for me to get them scanned and posted.

In the meantime, I want to say that I hope 2009 is an art-filled, spiritually-enlightening year for many of us, as we have to wean ourselves away from the man-made consumeristic products that we can shop for in our malls, and instead look back longingly to items that have the handmade element. We can create our art without divesting ourselves of our nest eggs (although, I will admit, that I have acquired ALL of the colors of Tim Holtz's alcohol inks - that was my Christmas gift to "me" - now I just have to figure out how all his creative names relate to the actual colors...lol!). We can use wire, rusted car parts, rusted bottle caps, snippets of fabric (or, old garments retrieved from the local thrift store), leftover paints, pages torn from books and pasted onto recycled board, pictures torn from magazines that are retrieved from waiting rooms (too old to be of any use for actual news...) - all these are ways we can find material for our art.

So - let's not let the poor economy get us down! Instead, let's do our homesteading at home, in our artwork! We throw away so much that we can re-use to CREATE! My challenge to you is to focus on one piece over the next week, and link it to this blog!

No comments: